As I was chancing some minute break from working a week before Christmas I stumbled upon an article I saw in my Facebook news feed~~ “7 Things We Learned from The Little Prince”. It was such a good read that i remembered presenting about this classic timeless book by Antoine de Saint-Exupery in our Knowledge Management class back in my UP MBA days. (Oemgee, is it 5 years back or more, hahaha!)
I cant help but look for the powerpoint slides in my old school files and glad to be able to find it. As I read it I felt some goosebumps inside me…its amazing how I have poured those inspirational slides while I was nerdy juggling graduate school and working in the stressful banking industry back then. Well I guess I really have the calling on writing inspirational stuff. Here are some words of wisdom from The Little Prince itself as taken from my MBA powerpoint presentation files with my own little thoughts from my grown up experiences.
The Little Prince
By Antoine de Saint-Exupery
- A pilot forced to land in The Sahara meets a little prince who tells wise and enchanting stories of his own planet with its 3 volcanoes and an arrogant flower.
- Author reveals his views about follies of mankind and the SIMPLE TRUTHS THAT PEOPLE SEEM TO FORGET AS THEY GROW OLDER
Characters Met by the Prince
- KING – who can control the stars by ordering them what they would do anyway
- CONCEITED MAN – who wants to be admired by everyone but lives alone in his planet
- DRUNKARD/TIPPLER – who drinks to forget that he is ashamed of drinking
- BUSINESSMAN – who is busy counting the starts he thinks he owns
- GEOGRAPHER – who spends his time making maps but never leaves his desk to explore
- LAMPLIGHTER – who lives in an asteroid which rotates once in a minute; the only adult he met who CARE about something OTHER THAN HIMSELF
- “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the naked eye”. ~ Gadgets, career, pay check or good looks are not the true essence of being a person, Oh well, a lot of us will discover this once we are on top or get all of those. Agree? 🙂
- “It is the time you spent on your rose that makes your rose so important”. ~Live, laugh, love. Smell the flowers along the way. Its the ride that makes it worthwhile not the destination. In short live without regrets.
- “What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well”. ~Think of this whenever we grown-ups are experiencing the downside part of life. Its another version of When one door closes, another one bigger will open or There is a rainbow after the storm. Take it from The Little Prince.
- “All grown-ups were once children…but only few of them remember it” ~Let us always remind ourselves that simple things will always be the best, like when we were a child. There will always be a kid in all of us but only a few recognizes it. And for the still young ones, do not wish to grow up too fast, you will regret once it has been granted 🙂
Ouch reality bites right? I know all of us can relate at one point or another, so who are you in the characters, the king or the conceited man, or may be the tippler/drunkard. I personally think I’m the geographer while writing this back then.
I know a lot of you wanted to to re-read the book all over again and relive The Little Prince in all of us. And as my article inspiration for this blog post said the movie is going to be released in France by October 2015 and I’m hoping it will have international release as well here in the Philippines.
Anyhow, I’m so happy and fulfilled to post this article. Its best to be kid at heart but grown up inside. 🙂